Associate Editor, Web Editor
Navigator Student Press
September 2016 – Present
- Assist managing editor in leading team of twelve to create monthly magazine (print and online).
- Compose feature stories and photo essays on a wide range of topics, including addiction, Canadian literature, and local tourism.
- Upload online version of magazine using WordPress.
- Troubleshoot web-related problems.
September 2016 – April 2017
- Manage team of fifteen to ensure production of nationally-distributed literary magazine runs efficiently.
- Facilitate communication, mediate disagreements, and problem-solve.
- Edit a wide range of writing types, including fiction, non-fiction, and poetry.
- Speak on behalf of Portal at public events and fundraisers.
- Sell advertising space to local businesses.
Research Grant Writer
June 2016 – February 2017
- Write and edit grant proposals to support program funding.
- Review, edit and create web content.
- Project lead on the creation of fourteen informational guides for individuals with autism and their families.
Island Crisis Care Society
May 2017 – August 2017
- Produce video series that explores women’s homelessness on Vancouver Island.
- Review, edit and create web and social media content.
- Create graphics and write copy for fundraising efforts.
- Respond to questions from the public regarding new housing projects.
Bachelor of Arts, Creative Writing Major, Journalism Minor
Vancouver Island University
(Graduate in April 2019)
Awards and Scholarships
- Barry Broadfoot Award for Journalism/Creative Non-Fiction
- Pat Bevan Poetry Scholarship
- Kevin Roberts Poetry Award
- Mary Garland Coleman Prize in Lyric Poetry
- VIU Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- VIU Dean’s Honour List (each year of attendance)
- Blodwyn Memorial Prize in poetry
- BC Arts Council Scholarship (2017/18 and 2018/2019)